And, to that point, feel free to swap out the kale and spinach combo for any other dark leafy green you’re currently not eating enough of: Swiss chard, mustard greens, watercress—heck even the tops from a bunch of beets will work.You can thank Spoon University for collaborating with us on this awesome recipe. Thank you, Spoon University.
Protein-Loaded Kale Quinoa Meat Bombs
What You’ll Need:
- 1 lb. extra lean ground turkey
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped kale (or swiss chard, mustard greens, watercress, or another leafy green)
- 1 cup finely chopped spinach (or swiss chard, mustard greens, watercress, or another leafy green)
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 tsp finely chopped chives
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp crushed chili flakes
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 Tbsp butter
How to Make It:
1. In a large bowl, combine the turkey, garlic, onion, kale, spinach, jalapeno, chives, eggs, tomato paste, breadcrumbs, chili powder, chili flakes, and quinoa. Add a big pinch each of salt and pepper. Using your hands, mix well and form into small meatballs.
2. In a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. When the butter begins to sizzle, add the meatballs. Cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 6 minutes on each side, lowering the temperature if needed if they begin to brown too quickly.
3. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Makes 14 meatballs.
Per meatball: 91 calories, 10g protein, 9g carbs (1g fiber), 2g fat
Source: These Protein-Loaded Kale Quinoa Meat Bombs Will Help Your Muscles