Conventional deodorant can contain a lot of harmful chemicals. Because of this, many people try natural deodorant. Unfortunately, this can be very expensive and most of the time not work well.
Here’s my solution: Make your own! This homemade probiotic deodorant is easy to make, beneficial to your body, cost-effective and it works!
What Is Probiotic Deodorant?
Probiotic deodorant is exactly what it sounds like: deodorant made with beneficial probiotics.
Why add this “good” bacteria to this everyday beauty product? According to research, probiotics are used in beauty products such as deodorant “’balancing’ the skin microbiome, improving the skin barrier, and enhancing the skin’s overall appearance.” They also have deodorizing effects.
When combined with the other natural ingredients, you get a truly safe, effective way to keep body odor at bay.
In this homemade probiotic deodorant, we use only all-natural substances. Here are the key players in this recipe:
- Baking Soda: As a natural antifungal and antibacterial, baking soda can kill off odor-causing bacteria, molds and more to keep you feeling fresh.
- Coconut Oil: You’re likely familiar with the benefits of coconut oil for skin. Like baking soda, it has antimicrobial properties, plus it helps hydrate skin and possess antioxidants, which can help protect your skin and keep it fresh.
- Beeswax: Beeswax is another common all-natural substance used in beauty products, and for good reason. It helps moisturize the skin, holds anti-inflammatory properties and can help treat fungal skin infections. It’s a great addition to this probiotic deodorant.
- Shea Butter: There are few better natural ingredients for skin than shea butter, which is why we use it in this recipe. It has anti-inflammatory, anti-aging properties and moisturizes skin and protects skin.
- Probiotics: You can’t make probiotic deodorant without probiotics. This good bacteria can aid skin and keep body odor to a minimum.
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil is known as a powerful essential oil for skin. I can fight acne, moisturize and soothe skin, and combat infection due to its antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral effects. When combined with the other essential oils in this recipe, it makes for a perfect probiotic deodorant mix.
Related: Crystal Deodorant: A Natural Option for Reducing Body Odor
How to Make
Making this probiotic deodorant is a breeze. It begins with heating the beeswax and coconut oil over a double boiler. Stir it gently until it’s completely melted.
Next, add the rest of the ingredients and stir them in. After everything is mixed thoroughly, pour the probiotic deodorant concoction into an empty deodorant container.
Then let the mixture harden and cool in a tight, upright container. Once it’s hardened, it’s ready for use.
Homemade Probiotic Deodorant
- Author: Dr. Josh Axe
- Total Time: 4 hours
- Yield: 60 1x
This homemade probiotic deodorant is easy to make, beneficial to your body, cost-effective and it works!
- ¼ cup baking soda
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup grated bees wax
- ¼ cup shea butter
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 3 capsules of probiotics
- 10 drops tea tree oil
- 10 drops of lavender/citrus (for women) or cypress/bergamot (for men)
- Empty deodorant containers
- Begin by melting coconut oil and beeswax together over a double boiler.
- Then, stir gently until totally melted.
- Then, add in other ingredients and stir.
- Once mixed, quickly pour into empty deodorant container.
- Keep container upright and allow mixture to cool and harden before use.
What do you think about this article? Please share it and comment.