Asthma treatment can vary from inhalers to oral medications to drugs delivered in a nebulizer or breathing machine. Get a better understanding of how asthma medications work and learn about natural asthma remedies as well as ways to monitor your breathing at home.
- Asthma Treatment Options Early and aggressive asthma treatment is key to relieving symptoms and preventing asthma attacks. Find out the many ways asthma is treated.
- Asthma Medications Asthma medication can work quickly to stop coughing and wheezing. Learn more about asthma medications and the various methods for taking them.
- Asthma Inhalers Wonder if you’re using your asthma inhaler the right way? Do you puff and breathe … or breathe and puff? Learn how to get the most relief from your asthma inhaler.
- When and How to Use an Inhaler What’s the difference between a control inhaler and a rescue inhaler? Do you need both? Make sure you’re using your inhalers correctly.
- Steroids & Other Anti-Inflammatory Drugs The key treatments for asthma are steroids and other anti-inflammatory drugs. These asthma drugs both help to control asthma and prevent asthma attacks.
- Bronchodilators: Airway Openers A bronchodilator is used by almost all people with asthma as a way to open the airway passages. Learn more about the types of bronchodilators and how they work.
- Asthma Nebulizer (Breathing Machine) An asthma nebulizer (breathing machine) can deliver medication to the youngest and oldest asthma patients.
- Prednisone and Asthma: Stopping an Asthma Attack Sometimes stronger asthma medications, such as pills, are needed. Learn more about prednisone, how it works to treat asthma, and possible side effects.
- Bronchial Thermoplasty for Asthma Bronchial thermoplasty is a treatment for severe asthma. The procedure uses gentle heat to shrink the smooth muscles in your lungs — the ones that tighten during asthma attacks and make it hard to breathe.
- Self-Care Strategies for Asthma Discover some simple steps you can take right now to ease your asthma symptoms.
- Using a Peak Flow Meter A peak flow meter can warn you of an impending asthma attack so you can pretreat before you have serious problems.
- Air Filters and Asthma A peak flow meter can warn you of an impending asthma attack so you can pretreat before you have serious problems.
- Natural Asthma Remedies Alternative treatments some people have used for asthma include dietary supplements, yoga, and acupuncture. But there hasn’t been a lot of research on their safety and effectiveness.
- A Natural Asthma Cure? There’s no such thing as a cure, but some natural therapies might help manage asthma symptoms. But be sure to check with your doctor before trying one.
Source: Asthma: Treatment & Care