Acne is a condition that plagues millions of american children and adults.
Most people either live with it or turn to chemical treatments that have side effects or just don’t work at all. The main cause of acne is clogged pores that lead to bacteria and yeast overgrowth on the skin. Other factors such as inflammation, hormone fluctuations, and increased cortisol can also exacerbate acne.
The good news is that there are 5 natural acne treatments that work along with acne diet strategies that can help you eliminate acne for good.
Top Foods for Acne Diet
Here are the top foods that reduce inflammation and increase good bacteria in the gut which is the main way to heal acne.
- Probiotic rich foods – Kefir, yogurt and cultured vegetables are foods that help crowd out yeast and bad bacteria which lead to acne.
- Zinc rich foods – Sprouted pumpkin seeds, flaxseeds, chia and hemp seeds are high in zinc which improve immunity and heal gut issues.
- Vitamin A rich foods – Spinach, carrots and beef liver are high in vitamin A which supports healthy skin.
- Fiber rich foods – The fiber in vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds support cleansing the colon and growth of good bacteria in the gut which can help eliminate acne.
- Clean lean protein – Organic chicken, grass-fed beef, free-range eggs and wild caught fish balance blood sugar, which is essential in fighting acne.
Acne Foods to Avoid
- Sugar and carbohydrate rich foods – Consuming excess amounts of sugar and grain products can feed yeast and candida in the body increasing acne.
- Gluten and wheat – These foods cause inflammation of the gut which affects the skin.
- Chocolate – Is high in compounds that can trigger acne. Eliminate chocolate completely if possible but if you consume it then make sure it’s pure dark chocolate.
- Fried and fast foods – These foods contain a number of ingredients that cause inflammation including hydrogenated oils, sodium, chemicals, flavorings and sugar.
- Hydrogenated oils – Causes oily skin and are one of the main causes of acne. Hydrogenated oils can be found in foods like pizza and in packaged foods that contain soybean oil, corn oil, canola oil, and vegetable oil.
- Conventional dairy – Causes inflammation of the gut and skin.
Top 5 Natural Acne Remedies
- #1 Probiotics (10,000IU to 50,000IU daily)Take 2-3 capsules 2x daily. Probiotics boost immunity and kill off yeast and bad bacteria.
- #2 Zinc (25mg – 30mg twice daily)Promotes immune function and reduces buildup of DHT to improve skin healing.
- #3 Omega-3 Fatty Acids (1000 mg fish oil / cod liver oil daily)The EPA/DHA in fish oil help reduce inflammation and supports hormone balance.
- #4 Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)Apply tea tree oil to blemishes morning and night. Tea tree oil has antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties.
- #5 Vitex (160 mg of vitex/chasteberry)
This supplement balances hormones that can reduce acne formation in women. Also, you may consider GLA found in evening primrose and borage oil for hormone balance.
Bonus Acne Remedies
Make a natural acne treatment face wash by mixing 5 drops of tea tree oil and 1 tbsp raw honey together, then wash face. These are the top acne cures that have been proven effective time and time again.
If you can follow the above plan you’re sure to see results. In addition, if you have struggled with acne for a long time you may also have scarring and there are natural treatments for acne scars as well.
Natural Acne Scar Treatment
To naturally heal acne scars make a paste of raw honey, lavender essential oil, tea tree oil and frankincense oil.
- 2 tsp raw honey
- 3 drops lavender oil
- 3 drops tea tree oil
- 3 drops frankincense oil
Wash your face, dry then apply the paste an hour before bed. Then right before bed rinse off. By following these steps you can see great results in getting rid of any sign of acne forever!