Have you tried tabbouleh? The salad is a staple in Middle Eastern cultures, bursting with fresh flavors that complement each other. Many recipes feature bulgur wheat, but I’m switching things up a bit with my tabbouleh salad and using cauliflower instead.
The vegetable is one of the healthiest in the world: With just 29 calories per serving, cauliflower is full of anti-inflammatory nutrients and antioxidants, and it gives this tabbouleh salad heft while keeping it low-carb.
Let’s get in the kitchen!
Roughly chop up a head of cauliflower, then add it to the food processor and pulse until it reaches a rice-like consistency (psst: you’ll do something similar when you make this cauliflower pizza crust, another favorite cauliflower recipe).
Once the cauliflower is ready, combine it with the lemon juice in a large bowl. Add in the olive oil, parsley, green onions, tomatoes, salt and pepper next, and give it all a big stir. Sneak a taste and add more salt or pepper if necessary.
Now it’s time to let the flavors meld together. Cover the cauliflower tabbouleh salad for at least four hours, stirring every hour. This is where the magic happens! When you’re ready to serve the salad, if it seems a bit dry, add in another splash of olive oil and lemon juice. If you’re serving in the evening, I suggest making that morning; if you’re serving for lunch, try preparing it the night before and stirring well in the morning.
This cauliflower tabbouleh salad is so easy to make and tastes great. Because it uses so few ingredients, try and find the freshest varieties possible. Your salad will thank you!
Cauliflower Tabbouleh Salad Recipe
- 1 large head cauliflower
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch parsley, washed and chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 cups Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Chop cauliflower then add to a food processor and pulse until rice-like consistency.
- In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower and the lemon juice and stir well.
- Add the olive oil and the parsley, green onions, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Stir well.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, stirring once each hour.