Coca-Cola has launched its new Coke variety, Coke No Sugar. Here’s what you need to know about the drink.
1. Coke No Sugar is a new version of Coke, in addition to their regular products. It’s not a re-launch of Coke Zero or Diet Coke.
2. Coke No Sugar, as the name suggests, does not contain any sugar.
3. Coke No Sugar is sweetened with aspartame and Acesulphame Potassium (sometimes called Acesulphame-K or Ace-K). These are non-sugar sweeteners, which are also in Coke Zero and Diet Coke. See our guide to sugar and sweeteners for more on this.
4. The sweeteners in Coke No Sugar have been widely studied, and there’s no evidence to say they are not safe to consume.
5. In recent years there has been research suggesting possible links between artificial sweeteners and changes to gut bacteria, which could lead to metabolic disorders such as obesity. As well as this, a study released this year found an association between artificially sweetened beverages and increased risk of stroke and Alzheimer’s. That’s not to say sweeteners cause those things, but it does point to potential issues for people who drink a lot of sugar-free drinks. We can expect to see more research on this in future.
6. Coke No Sugar contains caffeine, as do Coke Zero and Diet Coke. The amounts of caffeine in the drinks is very similar.
7. Nutritionists caution against drinking too much of any artificially sweetened drink because they still taste sweet, so they don’t help us re-train our palates to prefer a less sweet taste.
8. Dentists are also not fans of artificially sweetened drinks, because any carbonated drink is acidic, which is not good for our teeth. While they are slightly less bad for our teeth than a sugar-sweetened carbonated drink, they’re not neutral. See our guide to oral hygiene for more on this.
9. In general, experts agree that sugar-free options are a better choice than sugar-sweetened beverages, and can help us cut kilojoules and move to a lower-sugar diet.
10. All experts agree that water is the best drink.
What do you think about this article? Please share it and comment.